The mission of the Village of Round Lake Building Department is to continually improve the quality of life for our residents and business community by providing responsive and efficient municipal services.
The purpose and function of the Village of Round Lake Building Department is to ensure public safety, health and welfare, during building construction and renovation to secure the safety of life and property from hazards incidental to the design, erection, repair and occupancy of buildings through proper inspection practices; and to preserve the appearance and property value of existing housing through efficient code enforcement. The enforcement of Zoning and Building Codes regulate the placement, intensity of use and construction standards of the construction project, to protect the health, welfare and safety of the general public.
Building Department News
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do I need a building permit?
- Building permits protect the owner of the premises where construction work is being contemplated and protects the neighbors and the neighborhood where the constructions will take place. Please note that if your project is done without a building permit, you will be fined.
- What projects need a permit?
- Additions to structures, air conditioners, alterations of structural systems, concrete work, decks, demolitions, driveways, electrical work, fences, fireplaces, furnace upgrades, garages, gazebos, patios, pergolas, re-roof, sheds, siding, sprinkler systems for lawns, swimming pools, water heaters, tree removal and windows (if you are changing the current dimensions). This list isn't necessarily all inclusive. If you are unsure if your project needs a permit, please call our office.
- Who can apply for a permit?
- Building permit applications may be filed by the property owner or by the owner's authorized agent, such as the design professional or the contractor who will be doing the work. The person to whom the building permit is issued is legally responsible for the proper construction of the project, obtaining the required inspections and the satisfactory completion of the work authorized by the permit.
- Are contactors required to be registered or licensed by the village?
- A Certificate of Liability Insurance with the Village listed as a certificate holder must be submitted to our office. A copy of the plumbing contractor's Illinois State Plumbing Contractor's Registration and license, a copy of the roofing contractor's license, and a copy of the electricians' license must also be submitted.
- What is required when submitting a building permit?
Please refer to the regulations for your project. The regulations can be downloaded at the right of this section under "Forms/Links". In addition, please beware of the zoning restrictions on the yard set backs which vary depending on the zoning district in which the property is located. Click here for the Zoning Code, Chapter 17 of the Village Code. If you do not know your zoning, contact our office.
Any work requiring a permit that involves the exterior premises, except replacement of same size windows, siding and roofing requires a Plat of Survey. The Plat of Survey must be current and legible. The Village will not keep this, but it is necessary for the permit technician to view it for comparison with the two submitted copies mentioned below.
All work requiring a permit requires the following documents:
- 2 copies of legible Plat of Survey with the intended work clearly drawn and to scale on both copies. Intended work area shall be marked on the Plat of Survey copies with the dimensions indicating distances to other structures and property lines. Requirements for Plat of Survey may be waived for interior projects, siding and roofing.
- A copy of the manufactures directions/specifications, if applicable.
- 2 copies of a plan view of work to be done. A plan view is the view as seen from overhead. Some projects may require additional sets.
- 2 copies of an elevation view.
- Drawings shall include details of all dimensions, materials, fastening, flashing, and any other details as requested by the Building Commissioner.
- A permit application with property owner information, contractor information if work is done by a party other than property owner, cost of construction and square footage of project.
- Tree Removal
- Don't cut down that tree! A Tree Removal Permit is required for removing trees and depending on the type of tree, replacement may also be required. Please contact the Building Department at 847-546-0963 for further information.
- Is my property in a flood plain?
- Homeowners and others with flood mapping questions can call toll-free:
(877) 336-2627 - flood mapping questions
(800) 358-9616 - Map Service Center
(800) 358-9620 - fax line
(800) 427-4661 - flood insurance questions
Contact Information442 N. Cedar Lake Road
Round Lake, IL 60073
Hours: M-F: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- What requires a Building Permit?
- Building Permit Application
- Air Conditioning Regulations
- Basement Regulations
- Deck Regulations
- Driveway Regulations
- Fence Regulations
- Fireplace Regulations
- Garage Regulations
- Lawn Sprinkler Regulations
- Patio Regulations
- Pool Regulations
- Shed Regulations
- Sign Regulations
- Spa/Hot Tub Regulations
- Sump Pump Discharge Regulations
- Roofing Regulations
- Siding Regulations
- Window Regulations
- Village Code